Saturday, April 24, 2010

Goat Butter Tarts = delicious!

I am a big fan of goat cheese. I could eat Chevre on my cereal. So, imagine my surprise when traveling home from Markham on Friday evening, on a road that has not been uncommon to me over the past few years, that I should happen to notice a sign for a farm store advertising fresh goat milk and cheese ... and it was open!!! I slammed on the brakes, pulled over to the side, turned the car around and pulled into the drive. I was met by two sweet little pups making my arrival known to the owner of the farm Ms. Wilman.

River's Edge Goat Dairy, located just East of Arthur, Ontario, is a working goat farm that produces the most beautiful fresh goat cheese (Mediterranean and Chevre), goat milk yogurt, fresh goat milk, goat meat, farm raised free range eggs, and, yes, goat butter tarts. They also produce a line of home-made goat milk soaps and moisturizing creams, including a fragrance free line for those of us with sensitive skin.
The farm is pesticide free and the goats are pasture raised with no growth hormones. They are beautiful little darlings. After purchasing my goods, about half of the store, I went out to the side barn to meet the baby goats. Most of them were only a few days old, and they were so cute.

The farm won the blue ribbon for their cheeses this year at the Royal Winter Fair and their accolades are well deserved as their Chevre is one of the best I have ever tasted: creamy, slightly sour, a little bit salty and incredibly smooth. I have to stop day-dreaming and driving ... I wonder what else I have missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment